Monday, January 08, 2007

Suicide Watch

I was on Suicide Watch Saturday Night... OK, not really; but what a way for my Cowboys to lose. The first thing I want to say is that... Tony Romo...... You are..... forgiven... I am not at all putting this loss on you. True, you did not have a good game; but there were so many other things that stuck out...

  • Terry Glenn fumbling
  • Roy Williams continuing to blow deep coverage
  • Defensive line not stopping Seattle after the botched field goal and letting Alexander go for 20 yards (or whatever)
  • Game planning by the coaches
  • No pressure on the QB
  • Dropped passes
  • Bad passes

Also, for the record, I don't think that Whiten had the first down although obviously he made it past the 1 1/2 yard line. Doesn't really matter.. 4th down is 4th down and they are going to kick the field goal.

I can't remember the last time that I was so down about a game. I almost wish they were blown out than to lose that way. OK, not really.

I certainly hope that there are changes for next year and I think it starts at the top. Bill Parcells was a great coach. I did not see that this year. Maybe it was the coordinators around him. Obviously, TO needs to go. He is nothing but a cancer to the team. It starts out kind of small like it is now; but just keeps growing.

Anyway, there you have it. I am continuing to play SNGs this month. Again, more or less break even after 50 or so SNGs as I am really faltering on my end game. More on that later in the month. I'll post stats tonight.

2 comments:

TechGuyTom said...

And as a Seahawks fan I had the opposite reaction to the game as you did. I am very worried about next week though.

Semi-Pro Poker Player said...

I don't put it all on Romo's head either, Will. Many folks had a hand in it (and I'm so tired of the weekly Roy Williams blown coverage show). They made too many mistakes and were just too inconsistent.

I'd agree that Witten likely didn't get the first down, but I just don't know for sure. We never had a view from the other side of the field to see the ball nor did we have a straight down the line view. From what I have read, the spot should not be overruled unless there is a perfect down the line video replay which shows that it should be changed. Of course that's not why they lost, though.

I will say that I do want Parcells come back, though. He does need a better offensive coordinator. I just could not believe that they did not attack the decimated Seattle secondary. Overall, I still think they are better with Romo going forward and I think some of his difficulties in the past month were the growing pains that you have to deal with when it comes to inexperienced QBs. I remember many great QBs (Favre, etc.) who mad the same type of mistakes early in their careers that Romo does.

I would also like to see Owens go. Spend that money on shoring up other weaknesses and keep him from growing into a cancer. He's a ticking time bomb and they were lucky it wasn't worse than it could have been this year. And his number of dropped passes were ridiculous. He dropped more passes in one season than I saw Irvin drop in his whole career. Owens is not a great WR and not worth the headaches.

No suicide watch here, but it was a tough night getting sleep after the game...

Who links to my website?