Friday, December 09, 2005

He who angers me Conquers Me

This is now my theme for life and poker (especailly poker).

I was talking to a work buddy who was just at a conference and heard this slogan. Of course, this wasn't geared towards poker players; but now it is geared toward this poker player anyway.

How often do we go crazy when Mr Maniac hits his 2 or 3 outer with Q6o that beats your pocket aces. Even to this day, I continually struggle with tilt. This is not going to be another long winded gripe session about how these "tilt-ers" are playing horribly.. blah blah. As far as I'm concerned, they can play anyway they want. They may or may not realize the risk of the way they play. So be it. From here on out:

He who angers me conquers me

I know, I know.. more easily said than done. I'm a pretty laid back guy to begin with and can let most things go by me without even a wimper. Mostly, I just say to myself to consider the source. Again, this really adapts well to poker playing. Consider the source of the 75% flop guy and move on.

Ok.. Moving On

I have dropped back down to playing 3/6 and 5/10. 5/10 was the limit of choice last night. Isn't it amazing that when you drop your level of play by 1/3, how much calmer you take those "bad" beats. I have had my shares of ups and downs the last couple of days; but hasn't caused the enourmous raise in my blood pressure that I had been getting the last month or so. I did end the session last night up about $210 so that is always good. The plan for the month is to continue to play at these levels to get back into the "enjoyment" factor of playing poker. I could say that I'm playing down here to get my confidence back; but that wouldn't really help. I say that because to me, the 5/10 game and 15/30 game are so different that you can't really play them the same... so confidence in your game can become instantly shattered once you move back up and don't adjust to those conditions. Don't get me wrong, you still have the crazy maniac types; but it is just different.

We'll see how it goes.... but just remember that the next time that Mr Uber Donk continually hits his outs against you....

HE WHO ANGERS YOU... CONQUERS YOU.

Here's to not getting conquered... Have a great Weekend!!!!

5 comments:

EN09 said...

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. aka:Buddy List

Never-Limp said...

I like it! Well said!

You should read the "emotional prep" link on my blog. I tried to paste the link here but it wouldn't work. GL.

CC said...

Will--

One of my favorite things to do in cash games when I get a horrible beat (runner-runner when they had nothing on the flop) is to take a walk. I almost never do that online, which is really weird. I think because the players are faceless, it is much easier to get on tilt online than live. You can size up your player live, as well as get a little sympathy if you are a generally nice fellow (which I hope I am).

Good luck on your weekend.

Littleacornman said...

Wise words Will.

I'd be interested to hear more about your thoughts on the difference in play between the higher levels.More aggression and less fish?

WillWonka said...

Hey ACornman...
Definitely not less fish as I will have at least 3 "fishy" type players at a table and the table VPIPs of over 25 are easily found.
You did hit it on the head as far as aggression. Much more aggressive at this level.

Who links to my website?