Thursday, February 23, 2006

When it Rains It Poors

Wow... what a bloodbath tonight... I just couldn't get anything going... The big hands were just not holding up... I'm not whining... It is just the way things go.. I realize that... but I want to be honest in my blog and report the good nights along with the bad nights...

Playing 3 tables of 3/6 SH on Absolute found me $300 in the hole after a couple hours... As usual, the evil side of me told me to step up... so that is what I did... After I lost all my buyin from one of my 3/6 tables, I loaded up on a 10/20 table. Now, I have played the 10/20 tables at Absolute and I had done well with them being about 6.57 bb/100... so I wasn't worried that I couldn't handle the competition... It was the swings that I now worry about...

Anyway, things of course went south there as well.... Things like AKo with Ace high flop losing to 92o (two pair)... A couple of rivered straights or flushes.. mostly flushes tonight.. and a couple of rebuys, I am down $1,100 between 2 3/6 tables and the one 10/20 table.

A long time ago, I mentioned what goes through my head when it is time to decide if it is time to quit... EDIT... I found the post... Should I Stay or Go Now.... A few of those things are (with my answers tonight):

Am I tired.... No
Are you playing well... not my best... but not on tilt either...
Are the games good... definitely..

Keep playing then... At the 10/20 table there was a guy seeing 90% of the flops... and of course winning..... at first... he made $500... gave back half (unfortunately not to me... lol) of it and left... So I buckled in and went back to work... Things didn't change much as I busted out of another 3/6 table... and this time I opened a 5/10 table... so I have one 10/20, one 5/10 and one 3/6 table going... all short handed... How about that for variety.. At first, I wasn't careful enough to pay attention... The games are definitely different at 10/20 than they are at 3/6... Doh!!!! Maybe I am tired...

Well, I won't bore you with too many details; but my hands started holding up... Made some right moves and picked up some small pots... the happy ending story would be that I made it all back and then some... The reality of it is that I made $900 of it back to end $283.75 less $70 bonus so a net of $213.75 down for the evening playing 948 hands 4 hours.

My biggest loser by far was Big Slick.. Yep, it is only a drawing hand; but it should would be nice to hit the flop once in a while with it. Check that... This just in... Pocket Tens were my biggest loser... The big blow being my set losing to a flush...

On the bright side, I did have quad aces tonight... It was even in the 10/20 game... It was just heads up so it wasn't too big of a pot..

Well, it is late so I'm going to call it a night...

Thanks to those of you who signed up with ThisIsTheNuts and are now getting paid to play. The guys over there don't handle referrals until the end of the month so I won't be able to confirm that they have linked me up with you until then. Let me know if you have signed up (you can find my email on my profile if you don't want to leave it in the comments) so that I can double check them.... or if have any questions.

Peace!!!!

5 comments:

cmitch said...

Nice comeback Will. Funny thing is I had a bad night last night also (OK - it isn't funny for either of us) and just posted about when to quit. For some reason I seem to get the "I am better than these guys mentality and can't quit now."

It is sooooo hard to quit when I'm behind for the night. I always think back to the nights, like yours last night, where I was down big for the night and finished up either only down a little or up for night.

CC said...

Will, nice recovery. You might want to look even more deliberately at the night to see if your play changed in any identifiable way. I find I often get less disciplined or play scared during a downward slide session, leaks that I'm trying to work on.

Anonymous said...

Great comeback! I hate pocket 10's, they seem to be one of my biggest losing hands along with KJ.

I probably have the same persistence characteristic when I get behind. I feel I have to figure out the way to win. It feels good to have at least some success before you quit. If you quite while getting beat, it sticks in your head.

I took a beating in the SNG's last night, 2 thirds, 3 fourths and a 9th (A Q suited, caught top 2 pair, lost to a set).

EN09 said...

Jeebus... 3/6 to 10/20?? Nice.

Gnome said...

Good comeback, but be careful!

Who links to my website?