Sunday, March 12, 2006

Got Gypped!!!!!

Not a very good weekend...

First work related... I will be soon starting a new job; but was waiting to give notice until the 15th due to year-end bonuses. Two people from HR and actually my boss told me that they were going to paid out on the 15th... You have to be gainfully employed to get this bonus meaning that you can't give notice until after the bonus. Meanwhile, my new employer was going to give me a signing bonus.. When I looked at the offer letter, it said that it was contigent of not getting one at Company A... Well, being the honest dooby that I am, I told Company B that Company A was still going to give me the bonus so that they didn't have to. I would not feel right double dipping... Well, Friday afternoon, I got word that Company A's bonuses will not get paid until March 31st... of which time I will have already started with Company B.... so another words.... I'm getting gypped!!!!

So feeling a little betrayed, I took off a little early and headed to Harrah's for a little No Foldem before our monthly homegame (3/6)... I step right into the Big Blind and look at AA... of course I raise it up; but lose to 56o out he hit his gut shot on the turn... He raised me on the river and I still made the crying call. I think getting AA in the BB at a No Foldem game is the worst possible place to get it (as opposed to online where you love to get it there). A couple hands later I see KJ... I just call as there are already a million people in the pot... Anyway K comes on Turn and I lose to Ms Calling Station down on the end who has KQ... just check called both the turn and river... as she also did when she hit her nut straight.. no raising.. Within the next 4 hands I lose with 99 and 88. I then get 63o in SB... BB raises it... and by the time it was showdown time my 63o took down his AK when my flopped 3 actually held up... That would be the only hand I win in about an hour and half and lost a clean hundy.. Yep... got gypped... I did go over to the BlackJack Tables and got $70 of it back...

So now off to the monthly game... We normally have 6-9 people... 13 people made it to this one. Things are going pretty well early. I took a fairly large pot right before we combined tables... I raise with A9o.. Webster who is shortstacked goes all in (can't cover my raise though)... defending champ Mr Free also goes all in.. I have no choice but to call. They both had Ax smaller than nine and my A9o held up. One problem I had was that I found myself having to call shortstacks all ins... seems that they would always do it on my BB and I would have no choice... One bright side to the night, is that I did win the last longer bet between myself, fluff, professor, and iceman so I did have that going for me. We are down to 4 and it is bubble time... or maybe it was 5... anyway I don't remember the exact details but somebody bet into me and I ended up going all in with 88 to isolate... The Force down on the other end of the table (who is shortstacked... but not way shortstacked) makes a rather loose call with 95s... All is well when I see an 8 on the flop... except there are two diamonds... and the third comes on the turn.... still have a few river outs; but I don't fill up... I go out a few hands later on the bubble.... yep... gypped... Congrats to Mr Kipler as he gets his first win. I dropped another small buyin in our dealer's choice games afterwords... This is the first time that I have played the dealer's choice games in a few months... Maybe, I'm just turning into a straight holdem guy; but I could not get into it... so I just gambled away my buyin.. It's probably that I am just getting to be an old man.. but between the loud music, cigar smoking and drinking (of which I do none of), and explaining the game 5 times before we started playing, I may be a tourney and run guy from here on out... I can handle the first 3... anyway.. you get the point.

By the way, this was the last tourney for the Professor as he jaunts off to the East Coast. Of course, we will miss the money that you donate... OK, OK, the money we donate to you... but most of all, I will miss your humor and all of that stuff... Good luck to you and Mrs Prof...

Saturday and Sunday continued my woulda, coulda shoulda theme... I was going to bore you with details; but suffice it to say ..... everyone together now... I got gypped!!!! Just a few examples... I can't remember which day it was... or if it was 10/20 or 5/10... but anyway I hit 2 sets... one of them was even set over set (QQ vs 33) so all is well until the 4th 3 comes on river... Next one gets flushed out on the river.. Today was the first time (and a little on Saturday) that I really got aggravated.. I flopped two straights only to lose to bigger straights on later streets.. So coming into the weekend, I was $300 down for the week.. As we all know, I had a 14 week streak going where I had positive weeks. I took off 3 days during the week so I did not have much time to make things right... As we know Saturday went bad with a low point being around $600 down... I just quit when I got it back to being down $187... Same thing Sunday... Again down $500 and made it back to a positive $61 for the day; but suffice it to say the streak is over!!!!

OK, maybe it is not as bad as UCLA losing to Notre Dame after 70 some odd wins in college basketball... or the Miami Dolphins finally losing in the ealry 70s... or Joey D finally not getting a hit in a baseball game.. but boy, the streak was nice and felt good.

And finally, It was Selection Sunday... My beloved Missouri State Bears sat squarely on the bubble. They did not have a lot of impressive wins... but they did finish tied for second in the Missouri Valley, they won 8 out of their last 10... all eight of their losses came to top 50 teams and they had an RPI of 21... No one has ever had an RPI that high and not go.... Well.. until this year.. Yes... I/we got gypped... Instead, somehow Air Force made it in with 3 losses to teams of RPI of 120 or higher.. Seton Hall made it in when they played absolutely nobody in the non-conference season and had some bad losses anyway....

So as you can see, I am coming into this week in a very, very foul mood.

------

By the way, thanks to the 2+2er who recommended my blog as a good small stakes blog.. I appreciate it whoever it was... I actually got over 100 hits for the first time today...

8 comments:

ScurvyDog said...

Your Bears did get gypped. Air Force, Seton Hall, and George Mason all getting in instead is pretty ridiuclous and gyptastic.

CC said...

If they hadn't changed their name, they would be sitting squarely as a 10 seed playing Marquette.

TripJax said...

dude, you gotta get company B to pay up!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, Will! I will miss the monthly home game more that you can imagine. As I leave for what The Force probably refers to as The People’s Republic of Massachusetts, I will consider myself extremely lucky to find even one person I enjoy, respect and care about as much as anyone at that poker table. Good luck to the Wonka family and my poker buddies…I do mean it.

SirFWALGMan said...

Your a dumbass. I would never give loyalty to any company because they do not feel the same way about you. I know, I know, it seems like they might. Just take as much as you can.

drewspop said...

Hey Will, I have some St. Louis questions for you if you don't mind helping me out. If you don't mind giving me your email address, I will shoot them to you. Thanks.

WillWonka said...

Drew.. take a look at my profile.. My email address is there.

Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

The next HUC has been announced! Sign-up before its too late at www.headsupchallenge.blogspot.com

Laters...

Who links to my website?