Monday, June 30, 2008

Weekend... Nothing Too Exciting and Pot Limit Holdem

Not too busy of a weekend which is a nice change a pace. I took my daughter to WALL*E on Saturday. I will go on record saying that I like the movie. It was a little strange as there was no dialog for about 30 minutes; but it was still good. It didn't really hold the attention of my 4 year old during the whole time so it may be catered for older kids (and adults).

I played in a small home game this weekend and lost both games that I played; but the more exciting part was that I got a Royal Flush and I even got it on the turn which is even better; but the bad news is that I didn't get paid off as I went all in on the turn. I was OOP and didn't want to lose any potential value by just calling and then checking the river. There was an Ace on board and I was up against a good player. I had also shown some bluffs albeit not all in bluffs. He said he layed down a big Ace which I am not sure that I believe. Does anybody just call and take your chances on the river and hopes he catches up even more?

I didn't play a lot of poker. It looks like I got in almost 2,400 hands and made about 3 1/2 buyins at 50NL which equates to 14.82 bb/100. One of the days while I was loading my 6 tables, I was accidentally loading some Pot Limit tables. Wow, what a difference. While selecting the tables, I was thinking that the VPIP % and average pot numbers were high; but just thought it was a good day to be playing. It turns out that Pot Limit play (at least on that day) is much crazier? Here's an example:

--------------------
POT LIMIT HAND
--------------------

Full Tilt, $0.25/$0.50 PL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker - http://www.stoxpoker.com/

CO: $164.50 (329 bb)
Hero (BTN): $62.50 (125 bb)
SB: $149.20 (298.4 bb)
BB: $50 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BTN with J:club: J:heart:
CO raises to $1.75, Hero raises to $6, SB raises to $10.25, 2 folds, Hero calls $4.25

Flop: ($22.75) 8:spade: 7:diamond: J:diamond: (2 players)
SB bets $22.75, Hero raises to $52.25 and is all-in, SB calls $29.50

Turn: ($127.25) 2:heart: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
River: ($127.25) 2:club: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $127.25 pot ($2 rake)
Hero showed J:club: J:heart: (a full house, Jacks full of Twos) and won $125.25 ($62.75 net)
SB showed Q:club: 7:heart: (two pairs, Sevens and Twos) and lost (-$62.50 net)


You gotta love it. By the way, this was NOT an isolated incident.


Anyway, here is a look at the graph:





One more day left in the month. I'll try to put a month end post tonight.
Have a good day!!

3 comments:

CC said...

Just seeing that I'm a WillWonka top twelver!! Very cool. Beating up Eurotrash in PLHE is very, VERY cool!

jamyhawk said...

Thanks for posting about Wall-E. I was thinking of taking my 2 and 3 year olds to see it, but may pass now.

I very well could check the turn on a Royal like that. Hopefully, it looks like the flush scared you. Even if he checks behind you, you can go all in on the river and it will look like more of a bluff than it coming out on the turn. Of course OBFV is always good: turn or river.

WillWonka said...

That's the thing is was not an overbet... He bet out 500 and raised it like 750 more which put him all in.

Now, I will always wonder what would have happened. I don't think that I would have led out on river; but checked and hoped that he fired again with his ace.

Who links to my website?