Friday, June 10, 2005

One Step Closer to WSOP

Well, I am one step closer to Vegas and the Main Event. I played in the 2nd tourney (of 3) to get to the WSOP. The first tourney was a $20 buyin with top 3 going to the weekly tourney which qualifies for the final match which guarantees a 1 in 32 chance of going to the WSOP. It also had a $1K guarantee on it. Normally, they are rebuy tourneys; but this one wasn't. Anyway, I finished 2nd for a $240 payday an entry to the weekly. I played the next night also. This one was a rebuy. I didn't rebuy or add on; but I did get 4th for a $120 payday. Very nice overlay on these tourneys as there is usually only between 20 and 30 people in it.

We started off with 1500 chips (around 29 players) and after a few orbits I was down to around 400. Things went crazy from there and by the time the 1st break came, I was up to 11K in chips and about a 3-1 chip lead over the 2nd place person. So, knowing that the top 4 make it the final tourney, I decided to go into a shell and bascially fold my way into the finals. OK, maybe not the best strategy. By the time it was down to the final table, I still had a 2-1 chip lead; but when it got down to it, the short stacks were hitting their all-ins. A little while later with 5 people remaining, I found myself in 5th place. Uh oh. Luckily, someone went out and I squeaked in. I just went all in on the next hand and finished 4th. I hope I learned my lesson to not go into a shell in these things.

Anyway, the final tourney is not until the end of the month; but as I said earlier, there will be no more than 32 people in it so you got to like the odds.

I also had a 2nd and a 3rd tonight in my 2 SNGs so it was a pretty profitable night (+140).

There is another site that has a nice overlay for their WSOP qualifiers; but it is on Sunday nights and that is hard for me to make. If anybody knows of any others, let me know.

No comments:

Who links to my website?