Thursday, June 30, 2005

Why do I do what I don't want to do.

In the Bible, the Apostle Paul in Romans 7 says "I don't understand myself at all, why do I do what I don't want to do". He's talking about the sin in his life; but I can parallel it to poker. First off, the plan was not to play at all last night; but with a sick kid, I had opportunities play while she slept. I tried to avoid it, I even did some housework; but eventually the temptation was too strong and sat down to play. Bad idea. After about an hour and a half, I was down $401. That is my self prescribed loss limit for the day. So I did stop... but found myself back at the computer a little later. I played one $50 SNG and sat at one table of Ring Play. About 40 minutes later, I was up $100 on ring play and I got a 2nd in the tourney for a net $95. So now, I'm back to down only $200. You think that was good enough... nope... I came back later that night and to quote John Cougar Mellancamp, "The Walls came Tumbling Down". I lost another $300. I felt I was playing very good and making all the right decisions. It just wasn't working out. I do plan on going back to study the hands and situations; but here is the summary stats:

Hands: 514
VPIP (flop) 20.12% - That is right in line where I want to be (18-22).
Went to Showdown - 28.18% - That is a little low.. should be over 30%
Won at Showdown - 32.26 - This is definitley the problem as this should be over 50%. This also illutsrates the river beats that I took.
Preflop Raise - 7.59% - That is OK. I like to be around 8%; but I really didn't get the hands.
Agression Factor 1.34 - This is also way low; but can be explained by the lack of strong hands coupled with the fact that I wasn't hitting flops either.

It didn't help that my Aces got cracked twice by lower pocket pairs. I'm going to pull out my Poker Tracker Guide and review the leaks chapter and hopefully that will help. To bad I just can't take a mulligan on the day.

Oh well... gotta move on. Tonight is the night.. It is the WSOP tourney. There will be 28 people in it. How cool would that be?


I said yesterday that I would post my current SNG stats and here they are. These stats only reflect $50 SNGs

Games: 140
1sts: 20 (14.29%)
2nds: 23 (16.43%)
3rds: 11 (7.86%)
Net Profit: $1,850
In the Money%: 38.57%
ROI: 24.03%

My goals are to do at least as good as above. I would like to get the ITM% ove 40% and the ROI over 25%. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Who links to my website?