Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Winding Down

As the days start getting shorter (I know this because I am cutting the yard at 8:00 a couple of nights ago and it is almost dark) and as I start seeing kids going back to school and the summer is winding down, it can only really mean one thing......

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is absolutely my favorite time of the year. Preseason Pro football has started... and the college season is about to begin. This time of year, you still have high hopes that your teams (for me that is the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns) are going to win championships. By the way, I live in St Louis so I am a Rams fan; but my allegience goes to the city where I was born... Dallas. I just bought some front row tickets for the home opener on Monday night where Troy, Emmitt and Michael will all be inducted onto the ring of honor.. Even better, we're going to have hockey this year. BTW, I do believe this is the year for both of my teams.. OK, OK.. I say that every year... but watching the Cowboys on TV last night just got me more psyched for the season.... not because they played good or bad... just because it is here. Our fantasy football draft is fastly (is that a word) approaching. It is a week from this Thursday and I am the defending champ so I have some pressure (albeit all self inflicted) to repeat. We are having it a week earlier than normal due to people taking vacations.. but that's ok.. put that all together and....

I've got my college spreadsheets all ready to go to rank all 119 Division 1A football teams that will also generate my predicted spread to compare to the real spread. I will try to publish my top 6 picks every week on Tuesdays or Wednesdays starting in about week 5.

Put this all together and.....

I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL......


Ok, this is a poker blog and due to the football game and me being a little under the weather, I didn't get a chance to play any last night; but I hppe to be out there tonight to complete my HU Challenge for the 1st (and my last) round.

Lastly,

In a previous post, where I made 2nd nut straight on turn only to lose to the nuts, I wrote Matt Matros about it. I was very happy to hear that he more or less agreed with how I played it. Here are some of his comments:

I probably call on the flop, and probably reraise the turn unless the rock is a super-rock.

I might be able to fold the river, but I would never fault a call with a hand that big in a pot that big.

As far as the guy being a super rock, I really didn't have enough hands to really judge that. I want to really thank Matt for getting back to me as I know he doesn't have to take the time to answer all the emails that he must receive on a daily basis. By the way, if you have not read his book, it is definitely worth the read. I thouroughly enjoyed it. Again, it didn't set out to be a full blown strategy book.. more or less his road from the kitchen table to where he is now.

Speaking of books, I just finished the Chris Moneymaker biography. It brings on a whole new light as to how I percieve Moneymaker. It also was a very good read and I highy reccomend this one as well.


That should do it for now.... Bring on the pigskin...


PS.. if there happens to be any Oklahoma boys out there (and you know who you are)... revenge is ours this year at the Red River Shootout...

2 comments:

WillWonka said...

We shall see... my confidence isn't very high... lol..

My football stats don't really take shape until week 4 or 5. I'm sure that I will put something out there.

Jordan said...

Hey Will, I'm anxiously awaiting your football picks each week. My depth of knowledge is more of a kiddie pool then a well, so I'll just piggie-back off of your fine pics. If I win, thank you very much. If I lose, screw you buddy.

Who links to my website?